The recipe for the Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies that are healthy and so easy to make! They can be served as breakfast, snack or dessert!
There is something truly sweet and divine about the Amoretti cookies! They sound like an Italian afternoon coffee in a small coffee shop somewhere in Tuscany… I have never gone to Italy, but doesn’t the food that we eat sometimes connect us to other cultures in ways that are available to everyone no matter where they are geographically? That’s what these cookies do for me! But of course, making a healthier, lower-calorie version of these Amoretti Cookies makes them even sweeter, since there is no guilt involved! Additionally, they are so easy to make! This way, if you want to quickly make something that will bring that Italian afternoon feelings to you, all you need is less than a half an hour of your time to whip these up!
Making the Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies
These Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies are very easy to make! Just mix all the ingredients together, et viola! The cookies are ready to be baked. The baking time is short, too. So, in just under 30 minutes you can enjoy this health, low-calorie (guilt free!) treat.
I like adding almond extract in the cookies because it adds this wonderful amoretti scent to the cookies. However, in the absence of the almond extract the vanilla extract can also be used.
Storing the Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies
These cookies are quite soft and chewy! They can initially be stored in an air-tight container or in a plastic bag for about a week. If you are going to double or triple the batch and freeze the cookies, it’s a good idea to do so, because they freeze really well and you will have some extra cookies to take out and snack on long after they were baked.
I also like baking these cookies and freezing them and then taking some out for the Cookie Exchanges for Christmas or for just putting on the table during the Christmas and New Years celebrations.
The frozen cookies can be eaten a 5-10 minutes after you took then out of the freezer or you can stick the frozen cookie in the microwave and you will have a cookie that will taste like it just came out of the oven!
Enjoying the Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies
These Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies are so versatile! You can eat them as dessert, but you can also eat them for breakfast (because they are quite nutritious, and much less sugary than a store-bought muffins)! You can have these cookies for snack or give them away as treats to your guests and co-workers.
Low-Calorie Amoretti Cookies
- 3/4 cup almond flour
- 2/3 cup white whole wheat flour oat flour for gluten-free
- 1/2 cup fructose sugar or 3/4 cup regular white sugar
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 egg white
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract or vanilla extract
- 2 oz butter softened
- Prepare a large cookie sheet by lining it with parchment paper.
- Heat up the oven to 350 F.
- Whisk together the egg white and the sugar. Add the almond extract. Add the butter and whisk together.
- Whisk together all the dry ingredients.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the butter and egg white mixture. Whisk together well.
- Using the cookie scooper or a spoon scoop out the pieces of dough and place them on the cookie sheet. If round cookies are desired, roll the dough pieces between your palms and flatten them to form round cookies.
- Bake the cookies for about 15-20 minutes until golden.
- Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet before moving them to a storage container. Enjoy!