This Healthy Chocolate Cheesecake with Meringue is low-calorie, low-fat and all-natural! It is decadent, flavorful and festive. It can be served as a healthy dessert, a snack or even breakfast!
Making the Healthy Chocolate Cheesecake
Making this Healthy Chocolate Cheesecake with Meringue is very easy, even though it looks impressively decadent! All you need are a few healthy ingredients and about a half hour of your time!
The secret ingredient in the cheesecake is the farmers cheese (you can sub it for the ricotta cheese, both cheeses have the same texture and both come in low-fat variety). Mixing these ingredients is quick and easy, and if you do not want to use the home-baked cookies for the crust, you can just use the store-bought chocolate graham crackers or wafers).
The Quick Meringue with a Secret Ingredient
Despite looking like a lot of work, the Meringue does not require much effort. It is not an Italian or Swiss meringue that you need to cook or stabilize by boiling the syrup and whipping it for 7 minutes. This Meringue has a secret ingredient in it which makes it stable (after you whip it, it holds its shape for up to three-five days!).
So what’s the secret ingredient? It’s gelatin!
The gelatin-based meringue is my all-time favorite! You can make so many yummy desserts with it! And the best thing about it: it comes out right EVERY SIGNLE TIME! (Unlike the Swiss meringue for instance. To make it right you need to be some kind of a scientist who knows exactly to what temperature and how long to cook it so that it comes out right.)
Another great thing about gelatin meringue is that it requires very LITTLE SUGAR! Again, unlike other kinds of meringues which will not work at all without tons of sugar, this meringue will hold its shape with as few as 2-3 tbsp. of sugar for the whole recipe! So, you can really adjust the amount of sugar to your taste, without worrying that your meringue is going to fall apart without the sugar which acts as a stabilizing agent for the Swiss and Italian meringue!
P.S. Please try some other delicious meringue-based desserts and let me know which one you like best!
Healthy Chocolate Cheesecake with Meringue
For the Cheesecake:
- 2 tbsp. butter melted
- 1 cup chocolate graham crackers
- 2 cups low-fat farmers cheese or low-fat ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp. corn starch
- 1 tbsp. vanilla extract
For the Meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 packet gelatin about 2 tsp.
- 3 tbsp. cold expresso or cold water
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Make the crust: in a mixing bowl, add your crushed cookies and melted butter and whisk together until combined. Press into a greased 8-inch springform cake pan.
- Make the cheesecake filling: in a food processor pulse together the farmers cheese, eggs, sugar, cocoa, starch and vanilla and process until completely smooth. Transfer onto the cheesecake crust.
- Bake at 325 for 45-50 minutes, until center is just set. Let cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 3-4 hours.
- Make the meringue: put the gelatin into the espresso and stir. Heat up in the microwave for about 15 seconds until the mixture just begins to boil. Set aside.
- Whip the egg whites with the sugar until the stiff peaks form. Add the gelatin mixture and whip another minute or two until incorporated.
- Immediately smear the meringue over the cheesecake (it sets fast!). If desired decorate with sprinkles or chocolate shavings.